It started out as a simple dream.
James Woosley wanted to make his first book as real as any book published by a major company.
So he started Free Agent Press on a whim with just a URL and a logo.
Then he saw the power of self-publishing. It offered legitimacy to a writer or author who may not have the opportunity for big advances and exposure offered by traditional publishing, but who needed more than what vanity publishing could provide. It allows creators to own their content and reap the rewards of their hard work.
Self-publishing is no longer an ugly step-child. When done properly, self-published books are as real, as legitimate, and as profitable (sometimes more so for an author) as traditional books.
You have several choices:
- Send book proposals to the major publishers, weather frequent rejection, hope for a small advance, and perhaps publish your book in 12-18 months (with minimal marketing help from the publisher, you’ll be lucky to ever receive royalties beyond your advance).
- Do it all yourself, learning how to proofread and edit (writers are often blind to simple mistakes when they own the content), create an attractive cover (people DO judge books by the cover), complete the layout of the book (so everything fits, is attractive, and helps convey the content properly), get it printed at a reasonable cost, do all of the marketing for a launch and post-launch sales cycle, handle shipping and finances, and more. Writers want to write. Most would rather be published than do publishing.
- DIY as a General Contractor, hiring out each function required to publish your book. Many do this, and end up spending more time managing the process than they spent actually writing the book.
- Give up on ever publishing your book and sharing it with the world (even if that world consists of friends and family).
- Find a publisher that gives you all of the benefits of self-publishing without the hard work and much, much faster (less than three months). Free Agent Press serves as your publisher and general contractor. It’s Do It For You (DIFY) Self-Publishing!
If you have a book ready to print or just an idea that’s itching to be written, contact us to learn more and see if Free Agent Press can help.